HOME REMEDIES OF CLOVES~
Cloves have long been considered a home remedy in India for toothaches, joint pains, indigestion, asthma, cough, skin disorders, headache, etc. These health benefits of clove can be attributed to its antimicrobial, antiseptic, antispasmodic, carminative, expectorant, germicidal, rubefacient, stomachic stimulant properties. Presented here are some of the home remedies, collected from Indian kitchens where use of spices and condiments is not limited only to preparing meals, but also for treating common disorders.
Let’s check how clove can be useful as home remedy for treating common ailments:
• The use of cloves in toothache is a common home remedy. Pressing a clove bud between the jaws, at the site of aching tooth eases the pain.
• Apply clove oil in the cavity of decayed tooth. This would reduce the pain and help to ameliorate infection.
• To remove bad breath, chew Cloves.
• Prepare a decoction by boiling 5-6 cloves in 30 ml of water. Take this decoction with honey thrice a day as an expectorant. Chewing a clove with common salt also relieves coughing.
• If you have cough or throat is congested, try chewing roasted clove. It is also a wonderful medicine in cases of inflammation in the pharynx (condition termed as pharyngitis).
• For treating asthma, soak 2 cloves, 12-15 basil (Ocimum sanctum) leaves, 10 black pepper (Piper nigrum) in water and boil for 15 minutes. Filter the same. To this, add two tsp honey and drink with milk.
• Those who suffer from acidity can suck a clove to relieve the uneasiness.
• Clove oil taken with sugar is known to cure stomach ache.
• Prepare a paste of clove with common salt. Drink it with milk to treat headache.
• Application of a paste of clove also relives headache.
• In cases of nausea and vomiting, prepare a paste by mixing clove powder in honey. Licking the same would ease the problem.
• Clove bud boiled in water and given to a pregnant lady eases vomiting sensation.
• Application of a few drops of clove oil mixed with mustard (Brassica juncea) oil is effective in joint pain and muscular cramps.
• For treating spasmodic coughs during tuberculosis, bronchitis and asthma, mix a few drops of clove oil and garlic in honey. Take this formulation before going to bed.
• In cases of earache, mix clove oil and sesame (Sesamum indicum) oil. Warm the mixture and put 2-3 drops in the ear.
• To treat acne, apply a paste of clove powder in honey over the affected area.
• Mix a few drops of clove oil in jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis) or coconut (Cocos nucifera) oil and apply over acne. This home remedy not only removes acne but also leftover spots.
• For treating sty (inflammation on the eyelash), rub a clove stub in water and apply the same over the affected area.
• Clove oil works as an effective insect repellent when diluted with water in 1:10 ratio. Spray this solution to keep the insects at bay.
• Boil 6-7 clove buds along with 15 g aniseed (Pimpinella anisum) in half a liter of water till it remains one-fourth. Drinking the same with sugar is beneficial in the treatment of coryza (inflammation of the mucous membrane).
• Eating a clove in betel (Piper betel) leaf is best remedy for treating catarrh